Like what we’re all about? We’d love you to join us and get involved! There are many ways for people to get involved both in showing your commitment to sustainability, and to helping our Farm in the work we are doing to help create a happy, healthy Island.
Following are some ways you can get involved. Pick one (or more) … and let’s work together to make Hilton Head Island as healthy as it is beautiful.
Host a plant sale
What’s better, and even more cost-effective and eco-friendly, than a plant sale? A plant sale with plants that are custom grown just for your fundraising sale! Partnering with Johnson’s Urban Farm for a fundraising plant sale allows your group to not only raise money through the sale, but learn valuable lessons surrounding environmental stewardship and gardening.
By using fundraising plants that are custom grown for your sale, your group receives a superior product at wholesale cost. Since you set your group’s own selling prices, you can easily make 100% profit on most items that you sell!
Sound good? Here’s all you need to do to get on the road to raising funds … while “growing” your group’s awareness about the environment in the process.
- Set a date, time, and location for your Plant Sale.
- Choose the items you would like to sell
- Determine the quantities you need to get started.
- Give us a call to place your order & discuss your plans.
- While your plants are growing….PROMOTE your plant sale!!
- Identify & secure the members of your Plant Sale team.
- Just before your sale, get your customers informed & ready!!
Learn and Grow
Do you love vegetable gardening? Would you like to give advice to a beginning gardener who is just learning to grow their own food? Share your knowledge in topics like Garden Planning, Composting, Basic Gardening, Seed Saving, Cooking, Food Preservation, Winter Gardening, and others. Johnson’s Urban Farm can provide agendas or volunteers can create their own.
Our volunteer program is a great opportunity for individuals to be part of the locally-grown farming movement …and a chance to learn valuable life-long lessons in gardening, food production and sustainability. Volunteer opportunities are many at our Farm – here are just some of the activities volunteers can assist with:
- building garden beds, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting and packaging produce;
- facilities and grounds maintenance;
- community outreach;
- event planning, including helping out with food service, selling tickets and event set-up and clean-up;
- giving farm tours, greeting people and coordinating group visits.
Whether you’re an experienced gardener interested in sharing your skills with us — or someone with no prior experience but eager for the unique opportunity to be part of the locally-grown farming movement – we’d love to have you join us. The first step is to contact us to let us know about you and what you are interested in doing and learning. Once received, we will contact you by email with further information, or you can simply stop by the farm during our volunteer hours.